SHIP TO GAZA SWEDEN – PRESS RELEASE 21 June 2015
Around 10 pm Friday, Ship to Gaza’s former trawler ‘Marianne of Gothenburg’ left the port of Messina at the east coast of Sicily and sailed out on to the Ionian sea through the strait of Messina.
During the coming week the Marianne will meet up with the other boats of the Freedom Flotilla III. Together they will try to break the illegal blockade on Gaza through a peaceful non-violent action. The short stop in Messina was an intensive one with meetings with peace activists and a press conference at the city hall with the mayor of Messina, the famous corruption fighter Renato Accorinti.
Those on board the Marianne include:
• The Swedish journalist, author and social critic Kajsa Ekis Ekman
• The Swedish-Israeli composer and activist Dror Feiler
• The Canadian scholar and activist Robert “Bob” Lovelace, a veteran within movements in support of the Indigenous peoples’ rights
• The Spanish Member of the European Parliament Ana Maria Miranda Paza (Bloque Nacionalista Galego)
• Professor Gerd von der Lippe Norwegian sport sociologist and former athletics star.
They are accompanied by the following journalists:
• The Russian journalist Nadia Kevorkova from RT
• A New Zealand team from Maori Television, consisting of senior journalist Ruwani Perera and camera operator Jacob Bryant.
[See the side panel of kiaoragaza.net for options to support this mission. Ed]