Ruwani Perera is a senior journalist with Maori Television (‘Native Affairs’)
Pacific Media Centre report, 21 June 2015
MESSINA, Sicily (Kia Ora Gaza/Pacific Media Watch): A New Zealand crew from Māori Television has joined Freedom Flotilla III, which has set sail from the port of Messina, Italy, to link up with other ships taking solidarity and supplies to the besieged Palestinians in Gaza.
Facilitated by Kia Ora Gaza, the Native Affairs team join other international journalists on board the flotilla to observe and document the mission.
The Kiwi media team comprises senior journalist Ruwani Perera and award-winning, free-lance camera operator Jacob Bryant.
Peaceful non-violent action
The Palestinians have been suffering under a feudal-type blockade imposed by the Israeli state and the Egyptian generals.
The Ship to Gaza’s former trawler ‘Marianne of Gothenburg’ has sailed out onto the Ionian sea through the strait of Messina.
During the coming week the Marianne will meet up with the other boats of the Freedom Flotilla III.
Together they will try to break the illegal blockade on Gaza through a peaceful non-violent action.
The short stop in Messina was an intensive one with meetings with peace activists and a press conference at the city hall with the mayor of Messina, the corruption fighter Renato Accorinti.
Those on board the Marianne include:
- Swedish journalist, author and social critic Kajsa Ekis Ekman
- Swedish-Israeli composer and activist Dror Feiler
- Canadian scholar and activist Robert “Bob” Lovelace, a veteran within movements in support of Indigenous peoples’ rights
- Spanish Member of the European Parliament Ana Maria Miranda Paza (Bloque Nacionalista Galego)
- Professor Gerd von der Lippe, a Norwegian sport sociologist and former athletics star.
They are accompanied by the following journalists: Nadia Kevorkova from RT (Russian Television), and the Māori Television crew.
For progress updates, check http://www.kiaoragaza.net
Send a message and pledge your support for the Freedom Flotilla TODAY! – Pledge here