Unexploded Israeli bomb kills 4 and injures 43 in Rafah

7 Aug

 3500

Aljazeera report, 6 August 2015

At least four Palestinians from the same family have been killed, and 43 people were injured, in the Gaza Strip after Israeli military ordnance left over from last summer’s 50-day war exploded, a Palestinian health official has said.

Ashraf al-Qidra, a Gaza health ministry spokesman, said on Thursday that the rocket exploded as Palestinian workers were helping family members remove rubble from a house destroyed in the war.

The rocket is believed to have been dropped in an airstrike on the house during the war.

Last year, six people, including a video journalist from the AP news agency and his Palestinian translator, were killed as Gaza police engineers tried to defuse unexploded Israeli ordnance.

On Wednesday, Hamas warned of renewed violence unless Israel lifts its blockade of Gaza, at a ceremony marking the end of a military-style summer camp for 25,000 Gazans.

“Today, our message to the occupier is very clear: We will not accept a blockade,” said Mahmud Zahar, a senior Hamas leader who has been holding indirect contacts with Israel over a long-term truce in return for an end to the nine-year-old blockade.

“Break the siege because we will not be able to hold back those who want to defend their territory from those who have destroyed their homes and killed their children,” he said.

Israel’s 50-day war on Gaza in July-August 2014 killed about 2,200 Palestinians and 73 on the Israeli side, destroying or damaging tens of thousands of homes in the impoverished coastal territory.

 [Abridged]

Source: Al Jazeera And AFP

%d bloggers like this: