The 3 “Icons” are – Anna Baltzer, a Jewish-American author and activist for Palestinian human rights, Ali Hassan Abunimah, Executive Director of The Electronic Intifada, an independent online news publication focussing on Palestinian affairs, and Samah Sabawi, a Palestinian-Australian-Canadian writer, commentator, author and playwright. This event was hosted by Viva Palestina Malaysia in Kuala Lumpur as a forerunner to the international BDS Conference there today. The Conference will be attended by a delegation from Kia Ora Gaza.
KIA ORA GAZA MISSION
Kia Ora Gaza is a New Zealand network dedicated to breaking the inhuman and illegal Israeli siege of Gaza by delivering humanitarian aid, fostering fraternal relations, enhancing understanding of Palestine and the Middle East, and cooperating with others who have similar aims.
Kia Ora Gaza is part of the NZ Palestine Solidarity Network. Website: palestinesolidaritynz.net
KIA ORA GAZA PROJECTS
Kia Ora Gaza was established from a series of public meetings to organise Kiwi participation in international efforts to end the siege of Gaza & promote practical solidarity for Palestrine. This followed the Israeli commando raid on the Mavi Mamara-led peace flotilla in 2010 which resulted in the deaths of 10 civilian peace activists.
Since then Kia Ora Gaza has organised or supported the following projects:
1. Sent a team of 6 Kiwis on the 140-vehicle Viva Palestina international land convoy in 2010, driving and donating 3 ambulances to Gaza - part of the $7million medical aid delivered.
2. Supported Kiwi participant Harmeet Sooden to join the Canadian boat, Tahrir on Freedom Flotilla 2 to Gaza in 2011.
3. Sent a team of 4 Kiwis on the "Miles of Smiles" land convoy to Gaza with 10 tonnes of medical aid, 2012
4. Sent a fact-finding mission to Gaza Nov, 2012
5. Sent donations for food relief following the 2014 floods in Gaza
6. Co-organised nation-wide protests each weekend during Israel's 50-day bombardment of Gaza in 2014
7. Sponsored an education project training young Palestinian journalists in Gaza 2015
8. Facilitated "NZ-Gaza twinning agreements" with a sports club and community centre in Nuseirat refugee camp
9. Co-sponsored 2 ambulances for Doctors Worldwide rehabilitation centre in Khan Younis (Israeli bombing in 2014 destroyed 26 ambulances in Gaza)
10. Maintains website: kiaoragaza.net and facebook pages.
11. Co-hosted the NZ Conference on Palestine, 2013 and 2016
12. Facilitated 2 Maori TV journalists on board the Freedom Flotilla to Gaza in 2015
13. Co-hosted NZ speaking tours including:
- Harry Fear (UK doco-maker) & Roger Fowler (Kia Ora Gaza) in 2013
- Jeff Halper (Director, Israeli Committee Against House Demolitions) 2013
- Miko Peled (author) 2013
- Yousef Aljamal (Palestinian commentator) 2013
- Amira Hass (Israeli Journalist, Haaretz) 2015
- Samah Sabawi (Palestinian Writer) 2015
- Emad Burnat (Palestinian Film-maker) 2016
- Ali Abunimah (founder Electronic Intifada) 2016
14. Sept 2016. Transfered $6000 raised in our appeal to Palestinian doco-maker Emad Burnat towards a new camera.
15. Sept 2016 facilitated Green MP Marama Davidson to join Women's Boat to Gaza peace flotilla.
HOW TO DONATE TO KIA ORA GAZA
Make a direct payment to our bank account: Kia Ora Gaza Trust, 03-0211-0447718-000, Westpac Bank, Onehunga branch. Afterwards, email email@example.com your deposit details so our Board of Trustees can send you an e-receipt.
Write a cheque for ‘Kia Ora Gaza’ and post to: Kia Ora Gaza Trust, P.O. Box 86022, Mangere East, Auckland 2158
Kia Ora Gaza is a Charitable Trust incorporated under the Charitable Trusts Act 1957. Registration number 2540065
FREEDOM FLOTILLA TO GAZA: DOCUMENTARY
A MaoriTV media team of senior journalist Ruwani Perera and award-winning, free-lance camera operator Jacob Bryant, returned home from reporting on the Freedom Flotilla III attempt to break the Israeli naval blockade of Gaza.
Facilitated by Kia Ora Gaza, the Native Affairs team joined other international journalists on the board the flotilla to observe and document the mission.
Thanks to all those who generously supported the Flotilla project.
Here are the links to their two part documentary.
KIWI AID TO GAZA
Over 100,000 Palestinians were injured and over 2,100 killed during Israel’s 2014 genocidal onslaught. Their illegal siege on Gaza left the medical services without basic supplies.
Kia Ora Gaza Trust launched an urgent appeal for funds towards humanitarian relief in war-ravaged Gaza.
Kia Ora Gaza co-sponsored two ambulances for Gaza in 2015.
Kia Ora Gaza donated three ambulances in 2010.
VIDEO: The manager of the Doctors World Wide Turkey services in Gaza, Mohammed Alkhatib, thanks Viva Palestina Malaysia (VPM) and Kia Ora Gaza donors for jointly sponsoring two new ambulances at their Khan Younis rehabilitation clinic. The video also shows the recently delivered ambulances in service. (Video by DWWT 21 October 2015.) CLICK HERE
Books and T-shirts available
Our fallen heros
We remember the ten humanitarians on board the Gaza aid vessel Mavi Marmara killed by Israeli commandos on 31 May 2010:
Ali Haydar Bengi
Ugur Suleyman Soylemez
Our founding meeting
by Grant Morgan retiring chair of Kia Ora Gaza 18 February 2013 After two-and-a-half years as Kia Ora Gaza’s chair and website editor, I retired from those roles at our leadership forum last weekend. The reason? Over the past half-dozen years I have researched, written and spoken about how global capitalism is in overshoot […]
by Roger Fowler new chair of Kia Ora Gaza 18 February 2013 Last Saturday, at a leadership forum of Kia Ora Gaza, Grant Morgan stood down as chair of our solidarity network and editor of our website kiaoragaza.net. His departure had been well flagged over the past 12 months. Grant has been busy with […]
Al Jazeera, 29 November 2012. Nicole Johnston reports from Ramallah. Euro News, 29 November 2012. by Ewen MacAskill at the UN & Chris McGreal in Ramallah The Guardian 29 November 2012 The United Nations General Assembly voted overwhelmingly on Thursday to recognise Palestine as a state, in the face of opposition from Israel and the […]
by Nafeez Mosaddeq Ahmed Le Monde Diplomatique 28 November 2012 It is clear that without an overall military operation to uproot Hamas control of Gaza, no drilling work can take place without the consent of the radical Islamic movement. Moshe Ya’alon, Israeli deputy prime minister and minister of strategic affairs, 2007. Over the […]
Al Jazeera, 24 November 2012. Nadim Baba reports from Gaza. Euro News, 24 November 2012.
Map of Gaza
- 339,809 hits
No upcoming events